Skip to main content

The Unchanged God and His Unchanged Call

The last few years my soul was just so doggone tired that I couldn't write, wouldn't write. I found myself too tired of the haters, too tired of being needed, too tired of advocating and seeing not one soul step forward for a child, a real child.I was sick of telling people about adoption and watching them go on about their lives as if there were not real children depending on their yes. I was tired of seeing the posts about a waiting child die. The anger was consuming me.

I was tired of opening up about our reality only to have friends back away from us, from our needs. I was disgusted with people telling me I was too impassioned for the needy people in this world. I was filled with so many emotions. Frankly, I was tired of my own difficult road as well, tired of diapers, feeding times, bathing time, IEP's and teaching teachers how to teach.


I wrestled with God about resting. Eventually, I heard him telling me to go to sleep, to rest in the shadow of His wings. So I took all my anger, hurt, grief, and frustration with me to the One who already knew the depths of my soul. The last two years I ranted, raged and slept quietly while asking Him to bring restoration to my heart, mind and soul.

I believe in Him. I believe in His grace, wisdom and love. He is merciful when I am merciless. He is faithful when I lose my steps. He is always, always, always loving me. I came to the point when I fell on my knees in my closet, surrounded by my prayers on the walls, and asked Him to hold me because I was too tired to cling to anything or anyone.

He has done exactly that.
On the days when I questioned His goodness, He poured mercy.
On the days when I raged against His plan, He wept with me.
On the days when I ran from Him, He ran right beside me.

He is everything I could not be. He is everything I need.



In many ways nothing has changed. In my home, many behaviors in some of my children have worsened. We have more diagnosis than ever before, more medications, more dietary restrictions. Appointments feel constant. In the world, Christians are still more involved in sports than orphan care. Money is thrown at uniforms while families scrape for the next adoption payment. Americans decry their own persecution while refusing to lift the persecuted out of the depths of bondage.

Nothing about God has changed. He still calls us. He still weeps over the orphan. Heaven still sings when one more orphan finds a family. He still hates discrimination and segregation. And despite all of our rebellions and shortcomings, He still loves us. He still loves me. He still loves YOU. 

What amazing grace. 

He is still calling us to get our hands dirty. Calling us to be the very antithesis of what we usually think of as a good Christian.

Be the one whom others question because it can't possibly be that you are really reaching THOSE people. Let them think you are becoming one of them while you continue to bear the light into the darkest corners of this world. Let them write stories about your family wanting attention while you rush to one more child. Let them whisper behind your back about your passion being too strong.



You do not answer to them.
Be fire.
Be fury.
Be mercy to the merciless.
Forgive them anyways.

Remind them of the God who saved even them.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving A Child Who Cannot Speak

I have a daughter and she is nonverbal. It is one of the most difficult portions of my life. When the tears fall it becomes a guessing game. When we miss the mark of the needs the tears become screams. The frustration that mounts for everyone is intense. That screaming can last for what feels like an eternity. What ends it? Her resignation. She has no choice but to quit. Nobody is answering her need. Because we don't even know what it is. Imagine all of your needs every single day and now imagine that you can never, not even once, tell one single person what you need. What a horrifying thing. Those dreams where you are being chased and you are scared and you try to scream for help but nothing comes out of your throat? That is her world. And we, as her parents, watch on in sheer pain and frustration. Just sign it!!! Just try to say something. Anything. And she does. Every single day this brave soul yells out, makes sounds, tries. Not a single day goes by when she doesn't try

Rise Up, Speak Out

I sincerely hope that you will lend me your ear for the next five minutes. With all my heart, I believe you need to hear this message. Number one, I am sorry. I am sorry to all of my friends that have faced discrimination over the years and I, because of my privilege, was silent. I am sorry for the things I have said, done and probably still do. I am doing my best to listen now, to soak up and study all the things and phrases that are hurting you and to rid myself of them. I was wrong, and I genuinely apologize.  Would you like to know why I am finally speaking out? Because abuse happens everyday in my community of exceptional children. Every single day I am reaching out support to a friend who had a child secluded, abused, bullied to an extent that leaves physical scars. This is happening at schools. Everywhere. What can my own story possibly do? I don't know, but I know that truth is a strong weapon. I know that voices that speak out change worlds. Many people don&#

This I Know

Where can I possibly begin to explain to you what this year has been? The last post on my blog was many, many months ago. I share my personal stories on my blog and somehow they resonate with people. But I entered a year where I wasn't sure what could be shared, what couldn't, who would be hurt, what legal action could come against me, or what was even true. It hasn't been just one area of life, it has been all areas of life. We moved to a new town. Kids entered new schools. We attended a new church. It was an intense year politically. (perhaps the understatement of the century) My mind and heart have been spinning, trying to find where to land.  I learned first hand about discrimination. I watched as churches denied my children access to VBS because they were blind. I watched workers take the canes away from my daughters because it wasn't safe for the other kids. I lifted a limp, severely overheated daughter into my arms and removed her from a school building