Skip to main content

This Girl Can



There are moments in every single day that I want to quit. I want to throw in the towel. I want to quit being the mom who is shouting, "Yes, she can!" 

It's tiring. No, it's exhaustion that sinks all the way to the bone. It's laying my head on my pillow at night with one thousand thoughts scattering through my head. It's waking up, pushing power on my computer and starting to search for evidence again. It's meeting after meeting after meeting. It's laying my head on my pillow at night and praying for someone else to stand tall and take up this fight for one round so that I can rest.

But I have a few things that keep me going. Every night when I do lay my head on my pillow, a memory reel starts in my mind. Every time that I question if I have lost my own mind, I see Ellie standing for the first time. I hear her counting to ten. I see Everlyse taking her first steps. I see all the times they have blown through every single low expectation the world placed on them. 

All I have to do is remember them.
All I have to do is remember that the world looked the other way before.
Doctors said we wouldn't make it in time.
We heard update after update that Everlyse was dying. 
And we arrived to find a 4.5 year old who was eleven pounds.
She had the tenacity of a bear and her
giggle made the world go round.


Ellie stunned us all. Doctors said she would never walk.
She had no reflexes at all.
Consulate workers had me lift her and swear
that I understood this was likely permanent damage. 

And her patience with me has made me a better human. 
The daily pat on my back reminds me to keep going.
She walks. She is beginning to talk!


All I have to do is remember them. 
Two sisters who decided to give me a chance. 
Two daughters who choose to get up every day and try again.
They choose to love me.
And I am forever changed by these two.


So when I want to quit, when meetings leave me discouraged, I remember them!
Then I get back up for round 432,123,756.....

I boot the computer back up. I buy a new professional book.
I read it every night until my eyes can't stay open any longer.
I.keep.fighting.
And I fight smart.

I sat in a staffing last week with a main team member who came utterly and completely unprepared. She could not even speak to her expectations of the new year. It was maddening to watch someone take so little care of the two treasures I am forced to place in her care. I asked basic questions and the answers were a stunning display of ignorance the likes of which I could not have imagined. I didn't even get to the actual questions I had prepared. 

This same person told my team members last year that my girls didn't know as much as they (the team) believed that they did. 

Y'all please. Please. 



Go ahead and tell me they are cognitively impaired. 
Go ahead and tell me they can't learn braille. It's fine.
They were all wrong before as well.
Go ahead and tell me this is all they can be.
It's fine.
I never believed it anyways. 

I will whisper to them that they are brilliant. 
We will do our morning affirmation.
"I am blind. I am smart. I am beautiful."

Go ahead. Be like the rest of them, Darling. 
And I will be here doing what I do best.
Fighting for them.

Because we are not like the rest of them.


Don't listen to them, Precious Ones.
They can't see beyond their own stereotyping.
They can't see beyond their ignorance.
You listen to the people who feel like sunshine.
Listen to the people who believe in miracles
and in you. 

My Girls,
 Yes, you can!!!!

You can and you have
and you will.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving A Child Who Cannot Speak

I have a daughter and she is nonverbal. It is one of the most difficult portions of my life. When the tears fall it becomes a guessing game. When we miss the mark of the needs the tears become screams. The frustration that mounts for everyone is intense. That screaming can last for what feels like an eternity. What ends it? Her resignation. She has no choice but to quit. Nobody is answering her need. Because we don't even know what it is. Imagine all of your needs every single day and now imagine that you can never, not even once, tell one single person what you need. What a horrifying thing. Those dreams where you are being chased and you are scared and you try to scream for help but nothing comes out of your throat? That is her world. And we, as her parents, watch on in sheer pain and frustration. Just sign it!!! Just try to say something. Anything. And she does. Every single day this brave soul yells out, makes sounds, tries. Not a single day goes by when she doesn't try

Rise Up, Speak Out

I sincerely hope that you will lend me your ear for the next five minutes. With all my heart, I believe you need to hear this message. Number one, I am sorry. I am sorry to all of my friends that have faced discrimination over the years and I, because of my privilege, was silent. I am sorry for the things I have said, done and probably still do. I am doing my best to listen now, to soak up and study all the things and phrases that are hurting you and to rid myself of them. I was wrong, and I genuinely apologize.  Would you like to know why I am finally speaking out? Because abuse happens everyday in my community of exceptional children. Every single day I am reaching out support to a friend who had a child secluded, abused, bullied to an extent that leaves physical scars. This is happening at schools. Everywhere. What can my own story possibly do? I don't know, but I know that truth is a strong weapon. I know that voices that speak out change worlds. Many people don&#

This I Know

Where can I possibly begin to explain to you what this year has been? The last post on my blog was many, many months ago. I share my personal stories on my blog and somehow they resonate with people. But I entered a year where I wasn't sure what could be shared, what couldn't, who would be hurt, what legal action could come against me, or what was even true. It hasn't been just one area of life, it has been all areas of life. We moved to a new town. Kids entered new schools. We attended a new church. It was an intense year politically. (perhaps the understatement of the century) My mind and heart have been spinning, trying to find where to land.  I learned first hand about discrimination. I watched as churches denied my children access to VBS because they were blind. I watched workers take the canes away from my daughters because it wasn't safe for the other kids. I lifted a limp, severely overheated daughter into my arms and removed her from a school building