Skip to main content

Irrational Anger




Tomorrow I take my daughter in for the beginning of mental health assessments. We suspect autism with more complexity to it.

It is one more diagnosis behind her name. One more thing to add to an IEP, to discuss. You know what?

I am irrationally angry. I am. 

And I think too often we hide this part from the world. We show you the end result once we feel better. Once we can present a better picture, then we tell the story. Today, I'm telling you the story from this place of numbness and anger. 

It is okay to be angry. Moms, Dads, siblings....this is okay. 

I am angry.

I hate that the world will hear these terms and feel even more of a distance between her and them.
I hate that the world is so dang discriminatory.
I hate that mental illness feels like the bottom of the swamp. 
I am angry that I have these biased thoughts in my heart.
I thought I was better than that.

I hate this numbness that accompanies this anger. 

And most of all I hate that I couldn't fix her. 
I hate that for 2.5 years I held onto this tiny hope that hard work and lots of love could draw her out. 
I hate that I took so long to ask for help. 
I hate that I was raised and taught in church that mental illness can be fixed with prayer. 
I despise that anyone ever suggested demon possession. 
I hate that I ever heard that mental illness was simply sin. 

You know what? I despise that I heard that. 

Because she is beautiful and strong and brave. She fights everyday to be part of this world. Everyday I make her uncomfortable to the point of exhaustion by trying to get interaction. And every single day she tries again and she tries harder. For me. For her. She tries. Dang it. She tries so blasted hard. 

I want to wrap this in a pretty bow and talk about how Jesus is my all in all and everything will be okay. But today? It doesn't feel okay. Today it isn't okay. Because tomorrow I take my girl in for mental health evaluations. Tomorrow I will spend three hours telling someone about all the ways she doesn't fit in, all the ways she won't interact with us, all the ways I feel rejected. And that sucks. And it makes me angry. Irrationally angry. 

Jesus? Still here. Still abundantly giving grace to my angry heart. Thanks be to God that He simply accepts all of our emotions. He is just here, with me, in this my space of anger. 



I am angry that I spent two years trying to get her to want to play with me.
I am angry that I wasn't more fun.
I am angry that I wasn't the person that could break through to her.
I am pissed that after all my hard work someone else, with some high and mighty degree, will swoop in and get her to come out of this shell. 

I'm so angry that tomorrow I will sit and put her on display. I will let them see all of the things we try so hard to hide and I will tell them all the things we never tell a soul. I will admit that my daughter has never once brought me a toy to play with her. I will admit that she won't come out of her room unless I pull her out. I will let them see every single reason why strangers give us dirty looks and call her cruel names. Tomorrow I will show them all the ways she is different. And I hate it.

Attached and autistic. 

Attached so much that I don't want to spill her secrets to some stranger. I don't want them to see her scars from digging at her own skin. Attached so much that she and I know how to exist in a single moment, fully present, together. Attached to understand each other without one word spoken. 

Autistic with no words. Autistic with fast and unpredictable mood swings. Autistic with no imaginative play. Autistic with no favorite toy. Autistic and flapping her hands for two straight years. Autistic and no desire to find her people to gain meaningful interaction. 

And I hate that I couldn't fix her. 

Love wasn't enough.
Prayer didn't give us miracles.
God chose to leave us here.

It's grief. Pure and unadulterated grief. She and I are old pals. I recognize Grief a mile away at this point. I can rationally say that my anger is misplaced, directed at the wrong source and it will soon give way to tears. Someday anger will move to sadness will move to acceptance. But not today. 

Knowing this doesn't make it easier. 
Mental Health. 
Anger.
Irrational anger. 

Tonight I will let my anger simmer. Because tomorrow, I will wipe these angry tears away, put on my big girl pants and go be brave. Because she is brave. Tomorrow we will be vulnerable and we will be brave together. Because that is how we roll. Together. 

Comments

  1. Thank you for your honesty! Thank you for taking Jesus out of the box reserved for Sunday's best and bringing Him to the brokeness of the every day. This is who He is, Emmanuel, God with us. Not, God who comes back when we are no longer angry. I praise Him with you for being the unseen and sometimes unfelt presence in every moment of your struggle, fear, hope, realization, etc. There is a humbleness in getting your daughter the help you are seeking. You are making it happen for her, fighting for her. It is clear you are motivated by love and it is beatiful. It is a picture of Jesus, and an act of worship. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that you have to bear this burden. Because no matter what we say or how we try to sugar coat it - it is a burden of love that aches all the way down to the toes. May you find comfort today. My sister-in- law that who is a teacher consultant (like your Mom), once said to me about hearing impaired children with autism, "the light is on and someone is home but they are not answering the door." "Now we have to look for the open window." I will pray that through all of this pain that the Lord will lead you to her window. These are insufficient words in this situation but know that my heart aches for you. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are strong and you are brave. You have done everything right. You fight for those girls...advocate harder for them then most. And you can be angry. Because it is frustrating. It is worrisome. It something to be angry about.

    But you know what...she will meet and be loved than more people than you could have ever hoped. She will teach kindness and empathy although she doesn't speak a word. She will rise above whatever diagnosis she gets. Do you want to know why? Because she has you. And she has your family. Who never gave up. Who fight for her and her sister. Who showed them the love and compassion that someone else could not find it in their heart to show. You are their Angel. You have done everything out of love. You are amazing. You are strong. And you are so brave. And tomorrow...a plan will be made so eventually, there will be discussions about everything that they can do. So that there can be a time when we can all look back and say "remember when?" And "look how far they have come." You can be angry and you can be sad. But never forget that because of you...they are in a better place. And you are doing all you can. And you my dear...are an angel. I thank God for you and mommas like you ever day. Stay strong my friend. We have your back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Loving A Child Who Cannot Speak

I have a daughter and she is nonverbal. It is one of the most difficult portions of my life. When the tears fall it becomes a guessing game. When we miss the mark of the needs the tears become screams. The frustration that mounts for everyone is intense. That screaming can last for what feels like an eternity. What ends it? Her resignation. She has no choice but to quit. Nobody is answering her need. Because we don't even know what it is. Imagine all of your needs every single day and now imagine that you can never, not even once, tell one single person what you need. What a horrifying thing. Those dreams where you are being chased and you are scared and you try to scream for help but nothing comes out of your throat? That is her world. And we, as her parents, watch on in sheer pain and frustration. Just sign it!!! Just try to say something. Anything. And she does. Every single day this brave soul yells out, makes sounds, tries. Not a single day goes by when she doesn't try

Rise Up, Speak Out

I sincerely hope that you will lend me your ear for the next five minutes. With all my heart, I believe you need to hear this message. Number one, I am sorry. I am sorry to all of my friends that have faced discrimination over the years and I, because of my privilege, was silent. I am sorry for the things I have said, done and probably still do. I am doing my best to listen now, to soak up and study all the things and phrases that are hurting you and to rid myself of them. I was wrong, and I genuinely apologize.  Would you like to know why I am finally speaking out? Because abuse happens everyday in my community of exceptional children. Every single day I am reaching out support to a friend who had a child secluded, abused, bullied to an extent that leaves physical scars. This is happening at schools. Everywhere. What can my own story possibly do? I don't know, but I know that truth is a strong weapon. I know that voices that speak out change worlds. Many people don&#

This I Know

Where can I possibly begin to explain to you what this year has been? The last post on my blog was many, many months ago. I share my personal stories on my blog and somehow they resonate with people. But I entered a year where I wasn't sure what could be shared, what couldn't, who would be hurt, what legal action could come against me, or what was even true. It hasn't been just one area of life, it has been all areas of life. We moved to a new town. Kids entered new schools. We attended a new church. It was an intense year politically. (perhaps the understatement of the century) My mind and heart have been spinning, trying to find where to land.  I learned first hand about discrimination. I watched as churches denied my children access to VBS because they were blind. I watched workers take the canes away from my daughters because it wasn't safe for the other kids. I lifted a limp, severely overheated daughter into my arms and removed her from a school building