Skip to main content

This I Know


Where can I possibly begin to explain to you what this year has been? The last post on my blog was many, many months ago. I share my personal stories on my blog and somehow they resonate with people. But I entered a year where I wasn't sure what could be shared, what couldn't, who would be hurt, what legal action could come against me, or what was even true. It hasn't been just one area of life, it has been all areas of life.

We moved to a new town. Kids entered new schools. We attended a new church. It was an intense year politically. (perhaps the understatement of the century) My mind and heart have been spinning, trying to find where to land. 

I learned first hand about discrimination. I watched as churches denied my children access to VBS because they were blind. I watched workers take the canes away from my daughters because it wasn't safe for the other kids. I lifted a limp, severely overheated daughter into my arms and removed her from a school building after being shut away in a non ventilated, non air conditioned room for hours. I iced her body down in front of workers who hadn't bothered to read her IEP medical history. I was scared for her and so very angry. 

I sat in a room of authorities in my daughter's lives and listened to one person blatantly lie, and the loudest thing in the room was the silence of those betraying the truth for the sake of a colleague. That single moment sent me into silence publicly. Perhaps that was the goal? I'll never know. But I fought long and hard every moment of this year. And along the way God graced me with a few who decided my daughters were worth getting in the ring for and they fought with me. 

I love people. I love messy people. And I struggled internally all year long to find a way to bridge the gap between loving them and fighting for our rights. 

And so you have seen silence on my blog. What could I say? What part of my life could I share without humiliating the very people I needed to work with me?

But I have listened to people through social media, through group settings and I have learned that the average person in my circle has not tasted discrimination. Since their experiences do not show them it exists, many begin to believe it doesn't exist. Many begin to grow cold towards the brave voices that are speaking up and telling their stories. 

And if I somehow resonate enough for people to read my life story, if the million people reading are still waiting for my voice to come back then I want the truth to be heard. The truth has been ugly this year. In my eternal hope I sincerely believe we can still change the world. 

I say all of this to introduce you to the new areas of my life. I hope you stick around for the ride. I'm learning as I go, undoubtedly making mistakes. Give me grace. God has ushered me into a season of fighting.

What I know is:
Life is hard. 
Discrimination is blatant. 
Manipulation is meant to silence the victims.
Silence is betrayal. 
And Jesus? He stands for the oppressed. 
And me? I want to be on His side.

So, I stand up again. Here is my voice, added to the thousands, millions. We will not be silent. I will not be silent. Let's ride.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving A Child Who Cannot Speak

I have a daughter and she is nonverbal. It is one of the most difficult portions of my life. When the tears fall it becomes a guessing game. When we miss the mark of the needs the tears become screams. The frustration that mounts for everyone is intense. That screaming can last for what feels like an eternity. What ends it? Her resignation. She has no choice but to quit. Nobody is answering her need. Because we don't even know what it is. Imagine all of your needs every single day and now imagine that you can never, not even once, tell one single person what you need. What a horrifying thing. Those dreams where you are being chased and you are scared and you try to scream for help but nothing comes out of your throat? That is her world. And we, as her parents, watch on in sheer pain and frustration. Just sign it!!! Just try to say something. Anything. And she does. Every single day this brave soul yells out, makes sounds, tries. Not a single day goes by when she doesn't try

Rise Up, Speak Out

I sincerely hope that you will lend me your ear for the next five minutes. With all my heart, I believe you need to hear this message. Number one, I am sorry. I am sorry to all of my friends that have faced discrimination over the years and I, because of my privilege, was silent. I am sorry for the things I have said, done and probably still do. I am doing my best to listen now, to soak up and study all the things and phrases that are hurting you and to rid myself of them. I was wrong, and I genuinely apologize.  Would you like to know why I am finally speaking out? Because abuse happens everyday in my community of exceptional children. Every single day I am reaching out support to a friend who had a child secluded, abused, bullied to an extent that leaves physical scars. This is happening at schools. Everywhere. What can my own story possibly do? I don't know, but I know that truth is a strong weapon. I know that voices that speak out change worlds. Many people don&#