Skip to main content

Being Branded

Fallen, hard, impossible, failure, pain, agony, rain, tears, lonely, inadequate.

These words were subtly whispered. I felt their slight breeze as they sneaked into small cracks of my heart but never recognized when they made themselves at home. They were small and subtle and I thought nothing of them until all of them combined  and together found strength in my exhaustion. Together, as one whole, they stood as an intangible force intent on becoming my ruin. They worked so hard to become words with importance, with weight, words that could define my soul. They were eager to finish their work. 

Before I even had time to recognize their existence they left me broken and bruised. Whispering their own names over and over again in my heart, they found solace in creating misery, every action creating a branding on my soul. Ever so slowly I noticed changes, a head that couldn’t lift itself all the way, tears that constantly begged for release, insecurities and lips that leaked poison.



I can’t say that they don’t deserve their day in the spotlight, because at one point or another in the last week they have all had moments of defining a hard truth in my life. However, I can say that they deserve clothing, covering, and smothering. 

Because one man, God in flesh, bled for their destruction. 

Truth meet the One who defined you. 

He left me branded with one word, one beautiful, glorious word. 

Mercy.

Today I choose to clothe myself in mercy, sweet,blanketing and smothering mercy. I wrap my wounded, shameful soul in this gift that the cross has left for me.  Despite the words that deserve to be branded on my name, I choose to grasp the one that leaves me humbled and knowing that I can never be abandoned. 

Mercy is branded on top of my name. 

I choose one over the thousands. 

I choose mercy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving A Child Who Cannot Speak

I have a daughter and she is nonverbal. It is one of the most difficult portions of my life. When the tears fall it becomes a guessing game. When we miss the mark of the needs the tears become screams. The frustration that mounts for everyone is intense. That screaming can last for what feels like an eternity. What ends it? Her resignation. She has no choice but to quit. Nobody is answering her need. Because we don't even know what it is. Imagine all of your needs every single day and now imagine that you can never, not even once, tell one single person what you need. What a horrifying thing. Those dreams where you are being chased and you are scared and you try to scream for help but nothing comes out of your throat? That is her world. And we, as her parents, watch on in sheer pain and frustration. Just sign it!!! Just try to say something. Anything. And she does. Every single day this brave soul yells out, makes sounds, tries. Not a single day goes by when she doesn't try...

This I Know

Where can I possibly begin to explain to you what this year has been? The last post on my blog was many, many months ago. I share my personal stories on my blog and somehow they resonate with people. But I entered a year where I wasn't sure what could be shared, what couldn't, who would be hurt, what legal action could come against me, or what was even true. It hasn't been just one area of life, it has been all areas of life. We moved to a new town. Kids entered new schools. We attended a new church. It was an intense year politically. (perhaps the understatement of the century) My mind and heart have been spinning, trying to find where to land.  I learned first hand about discrimination. I watched as churches denied my children access to VBS because they were blind. I watched workers take the canes away from my daughters because it wasn't safe for the other kids. I lifted a limp, severely overheated daughter into my arms and removed her from a school building ...

Irrational Anger

Tomorrow I take my daughter in for the beginning of mental health assessments. We suspect autism with more complexity to it. It is one more diagnosis behind her name. One more thing to add to an IEP, to discuss. You know what? I am irrationally angry. I am.  And I think too often we hide this part from the world. We show you the end result once we feel better. Once we can present a better picture, then we tell the story. Today, I'm telling you the story from this place of numbness and anger.  It is okay to be angry. Moms, Dads, siblings....this is okay.  I am angry. I hate that the world will hear these terms and feel even more of a distance between her and them. I hate that the world is so dang discriminatory. I hate that mental illness feels like the bottom of the swamp.  I am angry that I have these biased thoughts in my heart. I thought I was better than that. I hate this numbness that accompanies this anger.  And m...